The Meaning Behind "Hetalia"

When I tell most people what I'm doing this project on, I mostly get blank stares as a response. I'll admit it, "Axis Powers Hetalia" sounded like a lot of nonsense to me when I first heard it. But...surprise! It is actually pretty meaningful.

Axis Powers, of course, refers to Germany, Italy and Japan. The "bad guys" during WWII. And it makes sense, because they are the 3 main characters.

Now Hetalia. It's actually a combination of 2 Japanese words. "Hetare" meaning useless or stupid and "Italia" which is Japanese for Italy (Kind of like how we combine Brad and Angelina to get Brangelina. Same basic idea). It's basically making fun of Italy's supposed uselessness during the war.

(Black hair = Japan, Brunette = Italy, Blonde = Germany)

It may seem like Italy's being picked on since the series is named after him being stupid. But really, all the countries have been poked fun at in the series. Italy just happens to be one of the easiest targets xD

In another post I'll go into more detail about some of the stereotypes and silliness. In the meantime, please leave your comments about what you think! <3

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

3 comments:

meditater7 said...

Pasta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, I have never heard of this anime until now and it mixes historical war with anime wonderfulness. I also like the depiction of the UN- Germany knows how to get everyone to shut up. Who knew formal political negotiations could be so chaotic?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

My sister introduced me to Hetalia last month, and I am madly in love with it. Seriously, I can't look at maps anymore without giggling like a schoolgirl. This is now my favorite manga/anime EVAH! I really like reading about history, and though Hetalia isn't always historically correct that's alright with me. The personification of the Nations are an especially awesome bonus. Foreign affairs takes on a new meaning for me. I really like your blog so far, keep it up!

Post a Comment